A really common question we get asked time and time again is ‘How do I grow my email list?’
Now we know you’re not out there buying or renting email lists in a vain attempt to add a few more subscribers, that would just plain daft now, wouldn’t it?
So how do you go about growing an email list that will actually deliver the results you need?
Well, the good news is that adding new subscribers doesn’t need a difficult or time-consuming process.
By spending just a few hours implementing some the simple tips below you can easily grow your email list and the good news is that once you’ve applied these, they will continue to add new subscribers to your email list on a constant basis.
So without further ado, here are our top 10 tips to grow your email marketing list
- Don’t hide your subscription form – Add it to the top of your website, not buried down at the bottom in the footer. Make it stand out with a clear call to action.
- Incentivise – encourage people to subscribe to your list by giving them something in return. A free download, ebook, whitepaper, free trial. All of these work well.
- Add a sign-up form to the bottom of blog posts – Written a particularly stunning piece of your blog? – Great – add a subscription form at the end and encourage people to sign up. If they’ve enjoyed reading your post they may want to hear more from you.
- Don’t ask for too much information in one go – Keep subscription information to a minimum. Name and email address is plenty in the first instance. If you need to find out more that’s a great excuse to email them and ask. Or use progressive forms to get additional information once you’ve recorded the subscription, don’t make these mandatory.
- Encourage current subscribers to share your content – sometimes known as member get member or refer a friend. Friends, other family members or colleagues may also be interested in what you have to say.
- Add a link to your email signature – Most companies have a signature at the bottom of each email – contact details, current promotions , etc. Add a link to your newsletter subscription page.
- Use the offline channel – Your company literature, oh how terribly low tech, but it works! Flyers, brochures, business cards. If space is at a premium, try using a short URL, apps like bit.ly can shorten your links and allow you to track activity. Collect email addresses at trade shows and exhibitions you attend, you can use these to send post-show follow up campaigns too.
- Social Media – Use twitter ads and run a campaign. Give away a download or free trial. Facebook – create a call to action button at the top of your page.
- Run a competition or giveaway – and get the entrants to register their email address to enter.
- Host an online event – A free webinar and ask for an email address as part of the sign-up
See that wasn’t too bad was it?
None of the above will take too long to implement or are articularly complicated and even just using one or two will have a positive impact on your email list growth